do your electrical outlets need replaced?do your electrical outlets need replaced?


About Me

do your electrical outlets need replaced?

When was the last time you took the time to inspect the electrical outlets in your home? Your outlets should be inspected at least once each year. During these inspections, you will determine if the outlets are in good, safe condition or if they need to be replaced. If the outlets need to be replaced, you have two options - do the work yourself or hire an electrician to do the work for you. This blog can help you determine if the outlets need to be replaced and give you an idea if you are up to the task of replacing them yourself.

Home Electrical Hazards

Because electricity is such a part of your daily routine, it is easy to become lax about safety measures. If you are lucky, you have never received a major shock from your home's electrical system. If you want to keep it that way, you need to examine your home for electrical hazards and remove or repair them. Electrical injuries at home are all too common.

Symptoms

Each year, people survive over 30,000 shock accidents. Another 1000 die from electric shock. If you receive a significant shock, you will need to seek medical attention. According to experts, the severity of your condition will depend on how much of your body sustains burns. In some instances, you can experience cardiac arrest and die immediately. If you survive, you will have a high risk of infection. Brain damage can also be an issue and lead to mood disorders or cause seizures. 

Everyday Hazards

One of the biggest home electrocution hazards is faulty electrical cords. When you have a fraying electrical cord, resist the temptation to use electrical tape to patch it up and replace it instead. Avoid running cords under a rug where they will become worn. Also, pay attention to your appliances. If using the microwave keeps tripping the circuit breaker, you have a problem. Unplug it and have an electrician look at it before you use it again; otherwise, you risk shock and electrical fire. 

Water

Water is another major cause of home electrocution.  If an appliance falls into the water, do not attempt to pull it out or even unplug it, whether it is turned on or off. Go to your electrical panel and shut off the circuit. Then either discard the appliance or have it looked at by an electrician before using it again. If you witness someone being electrocuted, do not touch them until you turn off the current or move them away from the electrical connection with something that does not conduct electricity, such as a wooden bat. 

Older swimming pools are also a cause of home electrocution, mostly due to improperly grounded underwater lights or pumps. You can reduce your risk by installing Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters for your swimming pool electrical connections.

You may have received numerous slight shocks over the years with no lingering effects, and, as a result, have become careless with electricity. In the past, you may have taped frayed cords and washed dishes during electrical storms and had no problem. Of course, all it takes is one careless act to electrocute you or cause severe burns and other problems. Take a look around your home and identify possible hazards. Correct what you can on your own and consult a skilled electrician to evaluate your appliances and your home's wiring. You and your family will be safer as a result.

Click here to read more or do an online search.