It's easy to use the various electrical components in your home a multitude of times throughout the day without giving them much thought, but you should always remember that every flip of a light switch or use of a wall outlet requires that several components are working properly. Occasionally, you'll encounter situations in which something isn't working right – and often, there will be clear warning signs for you to notice. If you detect one of the following three electrical issues, discontinue its use and call an electrician to look at the problem.
Heat In The Wall
It's good to get into the habit of noticing the temperature of the walls in your home around switches, plugs and other electrical elements. In the vast majority of cases, the wall will feel the same temperature as the room. At other times, you can notice that the wall is actually hot to the touch in the area directly around the electrical component. This heat indicates a serious wiring issue in which current from the fixture, wires or electrical box is running into your wall. Discontinue your use of the electrical element in the area right away and schedule a visit with your electrician. He or she will assess the situation and make the necessary wiring repairs to make the area functional and safe.
When you turn on one electrical device and notice that the lights in the room dim briefly, there's definitely an issue with the wiring in that room and possible in your home as a whole. If the home is old, there's a good chance that the wiring is outdated to the point at which it won't fully support modern-day electrical components. While this issue isn't inherently dangerous in itself, there's always a potential for problems with old writing – plus, the constant dimming can get on your nerves. An electrician will test the current at various points throughout the room and make the necessary upgrades.
You Don't Have GFCIs Around Water
You might not have noticed, but any wall outlets located near sources of water such as the sink in your bathroom and kitchen should be ground fault circuit interrupters. These outlets look slightly different that regular outlets because they have two buttons between the two outlets. GFCIs are designed to immediately cut off the flow of electricity when water is exposed to the circuit – for example, when you drop a hairdryer in the sink. Your electrician will easily upgrade these outlets to keep you safe. Click here for more info on electrical matters.