You may know that you should keep your lawn trimmed and not put burning candles too close to paper, but what about other fire hazards? There are many fire dangers in a home that you might not be completely aware of. Make sure you educate yourself on these fire hazards.
A common fire hazard that might be lurking in your home is outdated wiring. This is fairly common in older homes, since unless you have obvious electrical issues, you don't realize how old the wiring is. You might find that outlets and lights work just fine, so you don't get the electrical system inspected. However, this could be dangerous as the wiring might be a hazard behind the walls without you knowing about it. Try to pay attention to subtle signs of wiring issues, such as having to reset the breakers often or having lights that occasionally flicker. If you have questions or concerns, contact a local residential electrician.
Excessive Kitchen Clutter
Having a lot of clutter in your kitchen could be putting you at risk of a fire breaking out at any time. It might seem harmless to have pot holders or dish towels sitting next to the stove, but if you are cooking something that gets a little out of control, those few seconds of a higher flame in a gas stove could cause the towel to catch on fire. Try to keep all items away from the stove that aren't absolutely necessary. Also, reduce other forms of clutter, keep junk mail and other paper items in a bin away from any sources of heat, and keep appliances unplugged for safety purposes.
Clothes Dryer Lint
Believe it or not, something as simple as extra lint in your clothes dryer can become a fire hazard. Those little bits of lint heat up when the dryer is on, especially when you use it often at the highest heat setting. If the lint builds up in a hot dryer, it has the potential to catch on fire. Even if it doesn't cause a major fire in your garage or laundry room, it could do a lot of damage to the appliance. If the dryer is in the garage, a small dryer fire could turn into a large one if there is oil or other flammable materials nearby. It is best to take a moment to remove the lint before and after using the dryer.
Make sure when it comes to potential fire or electrical hazards, you don't leave anything up to chance.