Faulty home wiring is a fire hazard that poses a serious risk to your family's safety. It is important to recognize the signs of hidden electrical problems in your home so you can repair these dangers before an accident occurs. Here are three signs that you should have your home's wiring inspected.
Hot Electrical Outlets
Electrical outlets should never be hot to the touch. This problem can be caused by the breaker that powers the circuit that the outlet connects to, as well as faulty wiring inside the outlet. If the outlet's circuit is overloaded and the breaker doesn't trip, you will notice that all of the outlets that are connected to that circuit will begin to feel hot. Unplug all appliances that are plugged into the circuit and shut off the breaker to the circuit. You can replace the breaker yourself and see if the outlets stay cool, or contact an electrician to replace the breaker and look for signs of other problems.
If only a single outlet is hot, loose contacts or wires that are touching inside the outlet are likely to blame. This type of fault is especially dangerous because it often will not throw the breaker that is connected to the circuit. The outlet will continue to overheat if it is not replaced, posing a serious risk that internal heat or sparking will set fire to the surrounding wall.
Buzzing and/or Flickering Lights
When electricity is flowing through a solid connection inside a light fixture, it is silent. Fraying wires and loose connections can cause electricity to arc, which often produces a noticeable buzzing sound. Buzzing and loose connections are usually accompanied by flickering that continues even after you change the bulb. Any light fixtures that display these problems should be inspected for interior wiring problems.
Frequent Breaker Flipping
The most common cause of breaker tripping is when too many appliances are connected to the same circuit. If a breaker is tripping frequently even when you are using only one outlet, there is an underlying problem with the circuit. Because some circuits in your home are large enough to cover many rooms, and the wiring is located behind your walls, it is often best to contact an electrician to look for short circuits, ground faults, and other problems when you have a frequently tripping breaker.
To protect your home and family from electrical fires, be sure to have your wiring inspected by a professional like Central Heating & Cooling Inc if you notice any of these signs of electrical problems.